Development Complaints

Development Complaints

AcroCert as the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) makes every effort to ensure that all developments are constructed in the public’s best interest. Procedures have been put in place to ensure that any concerns or enquiries the public may have regarding a development are handled by the correct person.

Who do I contact if I have a complaint?

The first point of contact should always be the Principal Contractor, i.e. the Builder or Owner Builder. Every effort needs to be made to resolve the complaint directly with the Principal Contractor prior to contacting the PCA. The builder cannot rectify the problem if they are not aware there is a problem. The Principal Contractor’s contact details must be displayed in a prominent position on any construction site during the period of construction.

If you cannot resolve the complaint with the Principal Contractor, you can contact AcroCert’s office. Please ensure you have the property address when calling our office. We will contact the Principal Contractor to seek their assistance in resolving the issue.

If the issue is not resolved, the PCA will send a written notification to the person having the benefit of the consent to request action (usually the owner of the property).

If this action does not resolve the issue, details of the complaint and a Notice of Intent to Serve an Order are forwarded to the Local Council to further address the issue. The local Council are the only authority with the delegated power to issue an Order.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find the Builder & PCA details, and what do I do if I can’t find them?

The Principal Contractor and PCAs contact details must be displayed in a prominent position on the construction site. If you can’t find these details, please contact AcroCert's office to request the Principal Contractor’s details.

What if an Occupation Certificate has been issued?

If an Occupation Certificate (OC) has been issued by the PCA, the PCA no longer has any involvement with the site. The Local Government Authority (Council) should be advised of any further complaints from this point onwards.

What if there is water/sediment erosion coming from the construction site?

Immediate contact with the Principal Contractor should be made to make them aware of the situation. Advising them of the problem should ensure a fast resolution.

My property is damaged and/or they are working outside of the construction hours.

If damage occurs prior to the issue of an Occupation Certificate and/or work is being carried out outside of the scheduled construction hours, please contact the Principal Contractor in the first instance.

Work may be carried out only between the hours of 7.00 am and 5.00 pm on Mondays to Fridays and 8.00 am to 5.00 pm on Saturdays. No work is to be carried out on Sundays or public holidays.

Why wasn’t I advised of this development being built?

Council may notify the public or affected neighbours of a development in accordance with their Local Environmental Plan or Development Control Plan during the process of assessing a Development Application (DA). This allows members of the public to put forward their concerns.

If a Complying Development is issued by the PCA, notification by the person having the benefit of the development consent must be given in writing to all neighbouring properties within a 20 metre radius of their property. This notice must be given 48 hours prior to the commencement of construction.

Development that meets the requirements of Complying Development is considered development that should have minimal impact on the surrounding area. As such, no formal notification is given for public comment prior to the approval of a development. If you have not received written notification that works are commencing on a building site and you are within a 20 metre radius of the construction site, please contact AcroCert's office.

Where can I find additional information?

The Building Professionals Board have created an Info Sheet called Managing Complaints about Development. To download a copy of this Info Sheet, please click here.

All complaints are followed up with the complainant (if contact details are given). Please remember to contact the Principal Contractor prior to contacting our office.

Share by: